Tuesday, September 21, 2010

What to read?

"The biggest single task facing the United States today is the unleashing of our social imagination. We are locked into twentieth century institutions and twentieth century habits of mind. Science fiction is the literary genre (OK, true, sometimes a subliterary genre) where the social imagination is being cultivated and developed. Young people should read this genre to help open their minds to the extraordinary possibilities that lie before us; we geezers should read it for the same reason. The job of our times is to build a radically new world; speculative fiction helps point the way."
Walter Russell Mead

I started reading science fiction as a youngster and continued throughout my teen years. Then, for a while, I drifted away from it, but I've always considered the reading that I had done as a wonderful part of my educational foundation. So, as you might expect, I loved this quote, even as one who now fits into that category he calls: "..we geezers.."

No comments: